One day and One challenge at a time "WING THING" continues to come together.
Well after getting the hull top sheeting done the hull was flipped over and the plow planes, inner skirt attach strips and landing skids were added. The rear of the hull was reinforced underneath with a full 4 X 8 sheet of 1/8" plywood epoxied in place as suggested by the boys at UH to handle the heavier, EJ22 engine. Here are a couple of build shots.
I used Gorilla glue for the plow plane
After getting the plow planes carved and the 1/8" plywood attached for the inner skirt strips to glue to, flip it upright for laying out and cutting in the lift duct.
I cut out the plywood with a utility knife and then went at the foam with a Sawzall.
The duct gets set at 30 degrees, with the forward edge flush to the deck.
I cut up some of the foam from the duct cut-out to show how the Gorilla Glue used for the hull foam layup expands and fill any voids. However, as I pointed out in a earlier post, the expansion can get away from you!!
Now with a large hole in the craft, over we go again to finish the underside. Here is a look at how I hold the tack strips bend in place as the epoxy sets. I drill and dowel as I work the bend. I hold the strip down tight with screws and then remove them when all is cured.
The landing skids were added per the plan and a a full coat of epoxy finishes things off, for now anyway. Terry T. suggested I not paint it so that I can easily add bolt plates and make any changes without having to remove the paint first. That make sense Terry.
So now the hull is flipped up right for the final time. I am able to do this with myself and a helper, but she is gaining weight.
I am building pretty much to plan. Light and simple is the goal for this build, once she flies I can decide how much weight I can add for enclosing the cockpit and such.
I layed out the cockpit and glued the 1/2" X 1/2" strips in place, and then installed the belt tunnel. I cut out a cardboard template for the cockpit side and use it to build up the foam around the the lift duct and forward to the nose. I have alot of time into this foam. It is all glued up using spray adhesive.
I will not be putting the battery in the nose, but will probably end up with it under the dash.
Well this is where I am at today. I should get the sides in place along with the dash and seats in not too long of time. As for most of us, Work and Family take up much of my time, but I will make away.
I am going to make the tail UH-19XRW style with the aluminum tubes rather then wood as the plans show. I have aquired the materials and fitting for this and look forward to getting to that point in the build.
HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL................Greg